Thursday, January 04, 2007

Retrospection

1. What did you do this year that you've never done before?
Bikram yoga

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really make any. I have goals, but I don't really think of them as New Year's Resolutions.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth this year?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. The only person I can think of is Dave P. from MCC.

5. What countries did you visit this year?

Sadly, only this one. I intend for that to not be the case when I look back next year.

6. What would you like to have in the next year that you lacked this year?
A stronger self-awareness and a rekindling of my stubborn side.

7. What date from this year will remain etched upon your memory - and why?
April 1st. I heard a funny joke.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Making it through. I had a year of small victories.
(Also, I took the GRE.)

9. What was your biggest failure of the year?
*sigh*

I'm unhappy that, after being given a post-op all clear, I haven't lost all the weight I
gained on bed rest. I don't especially like being "festively plump".

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Just emotional unrest.
NO MAJOR CAR ACCIDENTS!! WOO-HOOOOO!!

11. What was the best thing you bought this year?
I guess my super-awesome backpacking pack.

Second would be the ring I gave myself for my birthday.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration (a public or private personality)?
My own! :)


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I can't think of any behaviors
that appalled or depressed me. I guess I have pretty low expectations when it comes to the behavior of others.

14. Where did most of your money go this year?
Living expenses and some savings. Nothing extravagant.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about this year?
Hmmm ... really, really, really?
I got to see a great
opera at an awesome venue with a friend with whom I hadn't interacted since high school.

16. What song will always remind you of this year?
Maybe Graceful & Charming. I don't know if it "will always remind me of this year", but I've thought a lot about it this year.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? On the road to happiness. This brings me the frustrations and trials of overcoming obstacles that were not in my life a year ago, but I have a greater sense of being "on the right path".
- richer or poorer? Slightly richer, I suppose. My income increased a bit, and my expenses remained relatively unchanged.
- thinner or fatter? Slightly thinner.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Things that bring a smile to my face. Meaning that, if I were to list "things that I know bring a smile to my face", I didn't do very many things on that list -- things that I know help me find happiness and peace.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Felt a need to cry. I cried a lot in 2006. And many times when I wished it would wait until a more convenient time.


20. How did you spend the holidays?
Working :( :(
I don't really understand how it is that, with 4 people to cover 6 shifts on 3 holiday weekend/day blocks, I worked all three, but somehow that's the way the cookie crumbled this year. I guess I didn't mind terribly, however. I still partook in my share of celebration.

21. Did you fall in love this year?
Yes.

22. How many one-night stands did you have this year?
Not a-one. (I never before realized that this was a standard by which to assess the year.)

23. What was your favorite TV program for the year?
I can't really think of one. I don't watch a whole lotta TV.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. In fact, I can't think of anyone at all whom I "hate".

25. What was the best book you read this year?
Most enjoyable was probably My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult.
Most helpful was How To Be An Adult by David Richo (I'm still reading this one. It seems that "psychological and spiritual integration" is most helpful in small doses.)

26. What was your favorite film of the year?
Nothing comes to mind.

27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
I developed a (sparse) work wardrobe after my daily job duties took me out of the lab, and so, out of scrubs. My personal wardrobe hasn't changed much and isn't all that terribly exciting. Wearing clothes now isn't as fun as it was when I was skinny.

28. Whom did you miss this year?
Jeni, whom I haven't seen in a few years; and Marianne, with whom I don't get to play nearly enough!

29. Who was the best new person you met this year?
Ken the Mexican. He's a cool guy.

30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned for this year.
Structure that cradles is comforting, and makes us feel secure.
Structure that contains is oppressive, and makes us feel rebellious.

4 comments:

monica said...

Oh, I am so stealing this. Look for it on my blog soon... :)

Marisa said...

zoe too?

Anonymous said...

Ken the Mexican IS awesome. I think Francisco liked you more, though.

monica said...

Hmm maybe, if she's feeling retrospective.