Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Spring Forward

I don't know exactly why, but I'm really looking forward to daylight savings this year. I love the idea getting home from work before its dark outside. I'm done with winter. The dusting of snow today, though pretty, does nothing for me.

As a child, living in warm climates, I was always jealous of the "American" kids who got winter. They owned coats, wore mittens, made snow angels, drank steamy hot chocolate through chapped lips while sniffling their runny noses and beaming their rosy cheeks. Now, I reminisce with fondness about Christmases celebrated in shorts, school uniforms that didn't have a long-sleeved option, and getting out of the shower without having to slather on petroleum-grade moisturizer.

I should move to southern California.
Or maybe just get into and finish grad school, and find some company to send me to a warm climate abroad.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus I'm getting tired of wearing tights when I'm out biking. I'm a warm weather guy, and ready for it to be such.

Between the ages of 10 and 29 I didn't live further north than Austin, TX. Why do I torture myself now?

Anonymous said...

Ok, I just realized that's a lie. The upper limit should be 25. My bad. I've lived in DC longer than I thought.

Marisa said...

but men in tights are so sexy!

monica said...

I think daylight saving time is a rip. It annoys me far beyond reason. Not sure why. I think I will add this to my list of 101 things...

Marisa said...

what?!?
how can daylight savings annoy you? don't you like it to be light outside when you get home?
you terrorist.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I agree. Winter is overrated. As long as I can get to a ski resort once a year, I'd rather live in the desert.

Anonymous said...

Daylight savings is useless. Change it one way or the other and keep it that way.

monica said...

I agree with bri... the clock is arbitrary anyway, so just choose a freaking system and stick with it. This switching back and forth is an unnecessary waste of effort.