Thursday, December 07, 2006

Gender and the F-Bomb

I just came from a 30 minute meeting that started two hours ago.

My team is facing an accuracy-vs-timeliness dilemma. Data has been so sloppy for so long that, we have come to realize, it will take much longer than is practical for us to make everything perfect. So we're faced with making the data good enough quickly enough for us to actually benefit from it.

Understandably, CEO is unhappy to be told this.
"I'd better start brushing up my resume because I'm about to get fired. I've always known you assholes would cost me my job. And I'm not happy about it."

He used the a word, many derivatives of shit, and a few sonuvabitch-es without batting an eye. However, when he let an f-bomb slip, he genuinely apologized to K and I, the females in the room; mostly to me, as everyone who has had the pleasure of conversing with K for longer than five minutes has been subject to her prolific usage of the word. Not only did CEO apologize, he begged my forgiveness and did not sit down until I granted it.

When he left the meeting, he exited the room, turned around in the hallway, re-entered and addressed me, "I'm really sorry for my potty mouth earlier."


Why is it such a violation of social and professional graces to utter this word in mixed company, but less inappropriate to do so when interacting with men only?
Does it have anything to do with boobs?
long hair?
repressed issues of maternal psychopathology?

6 comments:

Marisa said...

seriously ...
why should the word "dilemma" have a double letter?!?

feckless, i tell you!

monica said...

Maybe he just finaly realized how inapropriate his behavior was, but tried to downplay it by focusing on that one piece of it as unaceptable. Or not. Maybe he's just an ashole.

Those double leters are sneaky, aren't they? ;-)

Anonymous said...

i vote boobs.

from your boobalicious companion. yes, it's a word. not to be confused with bootylicious.

btw - your description of the meeting was exactly perfect. took me back. seriously did. i could actually picture his coat jacket swinging as he swung back in the room [which he's done so often]. which is also so comical. his anger is just so comical. i love it.

also, i dont know if you remember, but he's voiced his opinion bout MS being the cause of his firing before. remember? i do. i do so comically.

i do miss that aspect of MS - even though, at the time, i hated it. it is now to be missed. that and your boobaliciousness. the end.

Anonymous said...

If it were spelled "dilema" it would be pronounced "dyll - eemah" and people would think you were speaking of Peru.

It's fairly normal for men to apologize to women after cursing. Men feel they need to be much more polite around women than they do around men.

My boss is equal opportunity, he apologizes to men and women when he's cussing.

Marisa said...

I wonder if Monica specificallly tried to think of words to un-double-lettter-ify in her comment.

Marisa said...

damn!
I meant commment.

poo!