Friday, July 13, 2007

Monica's Pop Quiz

What do WE have in common with Harry Potter?
We all wear glasses.
We all sported the bowl haircut with too-long bangs as pre-teens.

Hmmm, too difficult? OK, try this: Name the 3 houses (ala Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin) of St. Winifred's School. Extra credit: What were their colors? Extra extra credit: Which one did we belong to?
Burton - pink
Sealy - green
Innis - blue

[I think that the extra credit and extra extra credit questions should be reversed. I easily remembered that we were in Burton, which was pink. But I have trouble coming up with the others. Also, I really think there were four houses. There were four colors for the primary school uniforms - pink, green, yellow and blue. Aren't there also four houses at Hogwarts? I'm gonna look that one up - its not cheating...
... Yes, there are! You forgot Hufflepuff!]

I'm adding a fourth Winifred's house guess:
Willahamena - yellow

Do you remember how our house leader - I can't remember her name now, but she was old and wrinkly and she wore mu-mus - called my name? Mah-ree-sah Bah-reeeng-ton.

One of the things I like about Harry Potter is reminiscing about St. Winifred's. The prefects, the houses, the creepy portraits in the assembly hall with eyes that followed you. I remember that Burton house pretty much sucked at sports, but was heavy on the brainiacs. Like Monica. Monica won, like, fifty points for the house, and a white bicycle (which was later handed down to me) for an essay she wrote. I think it was published in the newspaper or something. I was jealous.

6 comments:

Marisa said...

From the school's website:

1926, March 25th – Second Prize Day, a double one. The School Song "Jerusalem" was sung for the first time. (It was not known at the time that this was the favorite song of King George V). The School was divided into three Houses :

Seale (blue) after the Foundress, Miss J. C. Seale.

Ince (green) , it is assumed after Miss Ethel Ince.

Burton (mauve), it is assumed after Miss Norah Burton.

Mr. and Mrs. Waite gave a House Cup, which was first won by Burton House.

OK, so the mystery fourth house didn't exist. So why did we have yellow primary school uniforms?

And -- coolness! -- Burton won the first house cup!

Also - I didn't exactly spell the names correctly. In my defense, I was nine years old.

monica said...

Ya did pretty good! Spelling errors don't count, you were close enough. You got the colors for Ince and Seale mixed up though. Minus 50 points from Burton!

And yes, I remember very well the wrinkly old lady saying Mah-reee-sah Baaah-reen-ton. And I remember the way Blake used to make fun of her as well. Good times!

I was hoping you wouldn't go looking for their website til after you answered the question. That's what I meant by no cheating. So good for you!

monica said...

Also, when I was first remembering the house names, I kept thinking Sealy and Innis as well. Weird.

And I won the bike in an essay contest about road safety. I cannot remember at all what my essay said.

Marisa said...

strange that we both remembered it the same way. i bet mom still has that essay somewhere.
it was very hard to not look up the website before i posted. but i did -- specifically because you said no cheating.

did you see on the website that mrs. binks only retired in 1997?! how freakin' old would she have been??
sheeshamunga!

monica said...

Hmmm I think that would have made something like 197 years old. Give or take a score. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You went to a school that was kind of like Hogwart's? Some british prep school or something, complete with houses and points? That sounds kind of neat actually. Although, yellow uniforms? I can't picture that. Explains a lot though :P

-Anon E. Moose