Friday, August 19, 2005

Me- My- Mo- Risa

Marisa.
I've always liked my name. Simple, but unique ... Marisa - 1R, 1S ... none of those silly double letters. What you see is what you get. I like that.
I had to call the bank a few days ago, as I am still playing the role of middle woman between the insurance company and the car leinholder after my October car accident. After verifying my personal information, but before I could tell her the purpose of my call, the friendly call taker commented on what a nice name I have. I could've done without the ensuing ten minute explanation of exactly why it she thought it was such a nice name, but I appreciated the sentiment.
When I learned Spanish, I realized my name is made up of two Spanish words: mar, meaning sea or ocean, and risa, meaning laughter. Now that is just plain cool.

I searched yahoo recently, wanting to see if it could find this blog if I entered "Marisa". I figured, it's not a terribly common name, so I wouldn't have too many entries to sort through. I was expecting the usual Marisa Tomei hits, and some random, unnotewothy references; but what I was not expecting was to find out that Marisa is a Genus name. No, not genius (true though that may be!) Genus ... as in Genus species ... as in high school biology.
Now that's kinda cool, one would think.

...One would think. Turns out Marisa is the Genus for two species of snails. Yes, snails. Now I know I'm a little short, but a snail? That puts me just a snip and a puppy-dog-tail away from a Y-chromosome. And since I'm usually covered in enough dog hair to comprise an entire dog, let alone the tail portion, the snail reference leaves me a little dispirited.
http://www.hostultra.com/~applesnails/marisa.htm
http://www.applesnail.net/content/marisa.htm

Always one to make the best out of any situation, I went searching for snail traits that one might find enviable. I searched through animal spirit guides, totem animals, and shamanism lore; I spent way more time than justifiable. This is what I found:

Snails are found in gardens, ponds and even the sea. Their soft bodies are protected by hard shells which they use as a defense. Those with this medicine know how to retreat when danger is present as well as seal themselves off from others. Knowing when to retreat and when to act is an important teaching for those with this totem.
The snail creates a slime trail to travel on so it is easier to move over different surfaces and textures. When snail appears in your life ask yourself if you are taking a harder path than is necessary. Because snail retreats into its shell during adverse weather conditions those with this medicine have the ability to build walls around themselves and withdraw until a situation improves.

Both male and female the snail can produce sperm and eggs at the same time. Because of this duality, those with this totem exhibit male and female characteristics that align and work together in a complimentary way.
Most active at night or on cloudy days the snail uses all of its senses equally and simultaneously. Those with this totem often find they seldom have one intuitive gift more pronounced than another as all psychic abilities are utilized in any given situation.
The snail understands the value of slow movement and teaches us how to use that movement to our advantage. It holds the teachings of patience, perseverance, determination and respect. It asks us to be mobile and fluidic as we move through life, always aware of how our actions or lack of them affect others. The trail we leave behind holds the history of who and what we are. Past situations come to the surface to be healed or balanced in some way. In this way spiritual growth is attained.
(http://www.sayahda.com/cycle.htm)

I guess I can handle that...

1 comment:

monica said...

Tres cool! Nice post. You know, all these years, I never realized your name means "ocean laughter" in Spanish! Why didn't I get the cool name?? No fair!