Thursday, March 30, 2006

Blasts From the Past

I picked up the chart for my patient today and his last name jumped out at me. "H...," I said to my colleague; "I dated a guy in high school with the same last name." I set up the lab bench and went back to [colleague]'s area to get some supplies. "The H... I knew ended up being a jerk, so I'm glad that this guy has a different first name," I told him. He half-smiled and said, "yea, I could kinda tell that there was something there by the way you said 'H...' "

The funny thing is, I hadn't realized that I'd put any kind of inflection on the surname when I spoke it. I think its strange that people who you knew way back when can still evoke an emotional response when you think of them. I've read that people who move around a lot equate "home" with a set of personal relationships, and not a physical location. Is that why thinking of old contacts elicits such a strong emotional reaction for me?

I suppose that I'm thinking about "old friends" more than usual lately because I have recently come into re-contact with a couple, thanks to the power of the world wide web. [[Shout-outs to Jeni and Brian. Woop! Woop!!]]

That ol' Memory Lane sure is a wacky road!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

w00t! I know I've hit the high spot now, been mentioned in Marisa's blog. Yay me!

Have fun!
Brian

Anonymous said...

dont feel weird about it - i think those who have lived in the same state [and virtually same city] their ENTIRE LIVES [ahem, wink wink, nudge nudge] feel the same....for example, a great friend of mine throughout school, not only high school, had recently gotten married to her long time BF....i had ran into her here/there but when i called to congratulate her on getting married she never returned my call - sadness....the other day, i had a random dream inw hich i'm visiting her and she had a baby, and i'm all happy for her baby but also have strange feeligns of "is she being fake, blah blah" within the dream....so i think emotions are physically connected to the memory portion of your brain [i think, i forget most of my undergraduate stuff :( ] which makes it reasonable for you to have such a strong tone when mentioning mr. H...